Every year for the last 16 years the music minister and his wife have conducted a music camp at our church during the summer break. The culmination of the camp is a wonderful musical production the final night. They are very talented and very committed to the kids and the camp is a big event in our church life.
A few weeks ago one of the ladies who participated in the camp came to ask if I would make a quilt from the shirts from the camps. She was able to locate a shirt from each of the 16 years. I decided to try a pattern I had seen previously and wanted to try. The wide sashing uses black and white fabric, both with musical notes.
Each of the shirts had a similar size design and a pocket size logo with the name and date on it, all except one. For that one I pulled out my very old very basic embroidery machine and replicated the information on a scrap of the fabric. It turned out well enough that it isn't obvious. This pattern worked very well with the two sizes, though because of the large sashing the quilt turned out very large, almost full size. I wanted some kind of border that would complement the pattern and decided on large blocks of color picked from the black fabric pattern. It frames the quilt well and makes the over all pattern very happy. This quilt was almost as much fun as making an I spy quilt, love the bright cheerful colors.
We plan to present the quilt on the final night of the show this year, at the end of July. I will post this after it is presented. I don't want to take any chances that they might see it on the web, you never know.
The presentation was last night after the performance. It was so fun to see Stacy's reaction when she realized what it was. She had been talking earlier in the week about asking me to make one in a few more years when they had a nice round 20 shirts. Oh well, a few years early. Love that smiling face!